Madingley, a parish in Cambridgeshire, adjacent to the Via Devana, 5 miles WNW of Cambridge railway station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Cambridge. Acreage, 1768; population, 215. Madingley Hall, a large Tudor mansion standing in a park of 200 acres, is the seat of the Hunell family, and was occupied by H.R.H. The Prince of Wales during the time he was a student at Cambridge University. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £132 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church, which was restored in 1885, is a small building of stone chiefly in the Early Decorated style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Madingley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Madingley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Madingley (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Madingley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.