Longstowe, a parish in Cambridgeshire, lying adjacent to Beds, half a mile N by W of Old North Road station on the L. & N.W.R., 2 miles S by E of Caxton, and 12 SW from Cambridge. It has a post office under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office. Bourn. Acreage, 1544; population, 296. The manor, with Longstowe Hall, an ancient mansion standing in a fine park of about 175 acres, belongs to the Stanley family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross yearly value, £350 with residence. The church, with the exception of the ancient tower, was rebuilt in 1864; is a building of stone in the Early English and Transitional styles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Caxton and Arrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Longstowe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stow, Long)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Longstowe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.