Little Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire
Wilbraham, Little, a parish in Cambridgeshire, 2 miles from Fulbourne station and 2 NNW of Six-Mile-Bottom station on the G.E.R., and 6 E of Cambridge. It includes Six-Mile-Bottom hamlet, and has a post office under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Six-Mile-Bottom (S.O.) Acreage, 1990; population, 396. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Spears, swords, knives, axes, bronze fibulae, glass beads, pottery, and other relics were found here in an ancient Saxon cemetery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Wilbraham St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Wilbraham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wilbraham, Little (St. John the Evangelist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Little Wilbraham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.