Little Abington, Cambridgeshire
Abington, Little, a parish in Cambridgeshire, adjoining the N side of Great Abington, and 1 mile NE from Pampisford station on the G.E.R. Acreage, 1309; population, 268. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; yearly value, £85 with residence. The church belonged to Pentney Abbey, was restored in 1885, and contains tombs of the Daltons. Post town, Cambridge; telegraph office, Linton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Abington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Linton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from about the year 1668.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure of flint and rubble, in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell: the church was thoroughly restored in 1885, when a stained east window was presented by the late Edmund John Mortlock esq.: there are 120 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Abington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Abington, Little (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Little Abington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.