Linton, a small town and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The town stands on the river Granta, and on the Cambridge and Sndbury branch of the G.E.R., on which it has a station, at the boundary with Essex, 2 miles S of the Roman road from Cambridge, 10½ SE of Cambridge, and 48 from London. It is supposed, from the discovery of various Roman coins and the remains of a Roman villa at it, to occupy the site of a Roman settlement; comprises a principal street about half a mile long, and several other streets, mostly irregular and not well edificed; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Cambridge, a police station, three hotels, a church, a Congregational chapel, Salvation Army barracks, and a workhouse. The police station is used for petty sessions, the town being the head of a petty sessional division and a union. The church is a handsome edifice of flint and rubble in the Perpendicular style, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower, and contains monuments of the Parises, the Standlys, the Flacks, and the Millecents. The chancel and Millecent chapel were restored in 1879, and the whole church was restored in 1887. The workhouse stands a short distance from the town, is a neat brick structure, can accommodate 317 inmates, and is connected with two detached but not much used fever wards. A weekly market used to be held on Thursday, and a sheep fair, largely attended, was formerly held on 30 July, and a fair for small wares was held on Holy Thursday, hut these have all fallen into disuse. Some small manufactures were also formerly carried on, but are now extinct. The neighbourhood is much diversified with hill and dale. The parish comprises 3817 acres; population, 1726. The manor belongs to the Keene family, and some of the land to Pembroke College, Cambridge. Barham Hall was a priory of crutched friars, established as early as 1292 and .subject to the monastery of Welnetham, went at the dissolution to the Millecents, and is now a farmhouse. An alien priory, a cell to the abbey of St Jacutus-de-Insula in Brittany, was founded in the parish in the time of Henry III., and was given by Henry VI. to Pembroke College, Cambridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £194 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Linton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Linton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Linton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Linton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Linton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.