Landwade, a parish in Cambridgeshire, 4 miles N by W of Newmarket station on the G.E.R. Post town, Newmarket; money order and telegraph office, Fordham. Acreage, 127; population, 31. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward III., to the Hastings family, and passed to the Cottons. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Exning, in the diocese of Ely. The church, which is a private chapel of the Cotton family, is an ancient building; consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with a low tower, and contains some very old monuments of the Cottons.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Landwade St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Newmarket|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Landwade from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Landwade (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Landwade are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.