Landbeach, a parish in Cambridgeshire, 1½ mile W by N of Waterbeach station on the G.E.R., and 5 miles NNE of Cambridge. It has a post office under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Waterbeach. Acreage, 2225; population, 476. The manor of Chamberlayne belongs to Corpus Christi College, and that of Bray to the Worts Trustees. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £440 with residence. Patrons, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The church is of stone and rubble, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles. It contains some very interesting carved woodwork, some ancient stained glass, and some monuments of the 17th century. There is a Baptist chapel. Eawley, the chaplain of Lord Vei-ulam, and Masters, the historian of Corpus Christi College, were rectors.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Landbeach All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Landbeach from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Landbeach (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Landbeach are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.