UK Genealogy Archives logo

Knapwell, Cambridgeshire

Historical Description

Knapwell, a parish in Cambridgeshire, 8 miles W by N from Cambridge, and 4 S from Swavesey station on the M.R. Post town, Elsworth, under St Ives; money order office, Boxworth; telegraph office, Bourn. Acreage, 1236; population, 154. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. The church, a building of brick, was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1866. By the Parish Councils Act Knapwell was joined to Elsworth.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCambridgeshire 
Ecclesiastical parishKnapwell All Saints 
HundredPapworth 
Poor Law unionCaxton and Arrington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Knapwell from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Knapwell are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.

DistrictSouth Cambridgeshire
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCB23
Post TownCambridge