Kingston, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village stands 1½ mile E by N of Old North Road station on the L. & N.W.R., and 7 E of Cambridge, and had formerly a weekly market and two fairs. It has a post office under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Bonm. Acreage, 1907; population, 278. Earl Hardwicke is lord of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £40. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church, which is a building of rubble in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, comprises nave, aisles,, and chancel, with S porch and low tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kingston All Saints and St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Caxton and Arrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kingston (All Saints and St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kingston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.