Chinnor, a village and a parish in Oxfordshire. The village stands on the verge of the county, under the Chiltern Hills, near Icknield Street, 5½ miles SE of Thame, and has a station on the G.W.R., and a post and money order office under Tetsworth; telegraph office, Lewknor. It was burnt by Prince Rupert on the morning of the Battle of Chalgrove. The parish includes also the liberty of Henton. Acreage, 2712; population, 1247. The living is a rectory in thediocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £398 with residence. The church is Decorated English, and contains brasses of the 14th century and paintings by Thornhill. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chinnor St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Wycombe|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Oxfordshire Family History Society and Oxfordshire History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Oxfordshire online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chinnor from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chinnor (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Oxfordshire is available online
Online maps of Chinnor are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Oxfordshire newspapers online:
- Oxford Journal
- Banbury Advertiser
- Banbury Guardian
- Oxford University and City Herald
- Oxford Chronicle and Reading Gazette
- Faringdon Advertiser and Vale of the White Horse Gazette
- Oxford Times
- Banbury Beacon
- Ossett Observer
The Visitations of Oxfordshire, 1566, 1574 &1634 are available on the Heraldry page.