Kennett, a parish in Cambridgeshire, on a branch of the river Lark, at the boundary with Suffolk, and on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the G.E.R., adjacent to Icknield Street, 4 miles NE from Newmarket. It has a station on the railway, and there is a post and telegraph office at the adjoining village of Kentford, under Newmarket; money order office, Moulton. Acreage, 1431; population, 165. The manor, with Kennett Hall, belongs to the Godfrey family. Fairfax's headquarters were here in 1647. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £156 with residence. The church is a small building of flint chiefly in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kennett St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Newmarket|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kennett from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kennett (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kennett are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.