Ickleton, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village stands on Icknield Street, adjacent to the G.E.R., near the boundary with Essex, 1½ mile NNW of Great Ches-terford station, and 6 miles WSW from Linton, and was once a market-town. It has a post office under Saffron Walden; money order and telegraph office, Great Chester-ford (S.O.) The parish comprises 2700 acres; population, 604. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here in the time of Henry II. by the De Veres or the Cantelupes, and was given at the dissolution, in exchange for other property, to the bishops of Ely. Roman coins and remains of a Roman villa, together with other Roman relics, were found in 1848. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £287 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, a fine building of stone in the Early Norman style, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a lofty tower. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ickleton St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Linton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ickleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ickleton (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ickleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.