Horningsea or Hornsea, a parish, with a village, in Cambridgeshire, on the river Cam, 2 miles from Waterbeach station on the G.E.R., and 3½ NE by N from Cambridge. It has a post office under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Waterbeach. Acreage, 1647; population, 438. An ancient priory here was destroyed about 870 by the Danes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; gross value from patrons, £200 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Transition Norman and later styles, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. Coprolites are found in considerable quantities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Horningsea St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Horningsea from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Horningsea (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Horningsea are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.