Histon, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The-village stands near the Cambridge, St Ives, and Huntingdon branch of the G.E.R., 3 miles NNW from Cambridge, and has a station on the railway, and a post and money order office under Cambridge; telegraph office, Cottenham. Acreage of parish, 2162; population, 948. Histon Hall is the seat of the Peed family. Market-gardening is carried on, and much fruit is grown for the Cambridge and London markets. The living comprises the consolidated discharged vicarages of St Andrew and St Etheldreda in the diocese of Ely; gross. yearly value, £350. The church is an ancient cruciform. building of rubble in the Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles, and there are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. There is a school endowment.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Histon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Histon)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Histon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.