Wysall, a parish, with a village, in Notts, 7 miles NE of Loughborough, and 2½ from Widmerpool station on the M.R. It has a post office under Nottingham; money order office, Keyworth; telegraph office, Rempstone. Acreage, 1554; population, 193. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Willoughby-in-the-Wolds, in the diocese of Southwell; joint net value, £193 with residence. The church is in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, S porch, and western embattled tower with spire. There are General Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and a parochial school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wysall Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wysall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wysall (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wysall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.