UK Genealogy Archives logo

Woodborough, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Woodborough, a parish, with a straggling village, in Notts, 3 miles WNW of Lowdham station on the M.R., and 7½ NE of Nottingham. It has a post office under Nottingham; money order office, Epperstone; telegraph office, Lowdham. Acreage, 1945; population, 768. Woodborough Hall was purchased of the Parkyns by Mr C. H. Hill in 1895. A Roman settlement was here. Framework knitting and brickmaking are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower, and was restored in 1893; it has a Norman doorway and font. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school, a cemetery formed in 1879, and some charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishWoodborough St. Swithin 
Poor Law unionBasford 
WapentakeThurgarton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Woodborough from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Woodborough are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictGedling
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG14
Post TownNottingham