Winkburn, a village and a parish in Notts, 3¼ miles N of Southwell railway station. Post town, Southwell; money order and telegraph office, Southwell. Acreage, 2371; population, 115. The manor belonged once to the Knights of St John, went in the time of Edward VI. to the Burnells, to whom, with Winkbourn Hall, it still belongs. The living is a donative in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £50. The church is a small ancient building in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and western tower with pinnacles; and contains monuments to the Burnells. There is an endowed school with free education for twelve scholars.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winkburn from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Winkburn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.