Willoughby on the Wolds, Nottinghamshire
Willoughby-on-the-Wolds, a parish, with a village, in Notts, on the Fosse Way, 7 miles ENE of Loughborough, and 3 from Upper Broughton station on the M.R. It has a post office under Longhborough; money order office, Wymeswold; telegraph office, Upper Broughton (R.S.) Acreage, 2103; population, 414. Many Roman remains have been found, and the Roman Verometum is thought by some antiquaries to have been here. A battle between the Royalists and the Parliamentarians was fought in 1648 on Willougbby field. The living is a vicarage, with Wysall annexed, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £193 with residence. The church is old, is in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, S porch, and tower with spire. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. It contains several fine monuments of the Willoughby family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Willoughby-In-The-Wolds St. Mary and All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Willoughby on the Wolds from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Willoughby-In-The-Wolds (St. Mary and All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.