Wilford, a village and a parish mainly within the municipal borough of Nottingham, Notts. The village stands on the S bank of the river Trent, over which there is a bridge, 1½ mile from Nottingham town and railway stations. It has a post office under Nottingham; money order office, Nottingham; telegraph office, Wilford Road (T.S.O.) The parish comprises 1787 acres of land and 66 of water; population, 2769. The large increase in the population is mainly due to the establishment of Clifton Colliery. The manor belongs to the Clifton family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £600 with residence. The church is very old, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles, S porch, and a low embattled tower. The chancel was restored in 1868, and a new N aisle with three stained windows was erected in 1891-92. There are an endowed school with £180 a year, rebuilt in 1866, a reading-room, and a police station.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wilford St. Wilfrid|
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wilford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wilford, or Wilfrids Ford (St. Wilfrid))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wilford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.