Widmerpool, a village and a parish in Notts, 8½ miles SSE of Nottingham, with a station on the M.R. Post town, Nottingham; money order office, Keyworth; telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage, 2106; population, 183. The manor belongs to the Robertson family, whose seat, Widmerpool Hall, is a spacious mansion with clock tower. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £402 with residence. The church is in the Early English style, was partially restored in 1888, consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and embattled western tower. The chancel was entirely rebuilt in 1895-96. A village reading-room was erected in 1889 by Mrs G. C. Robertson.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Widmer-Pool St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Bingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Widmerpool from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Widmer-Pool (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Widmerpool are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.