Whatton, a village, a township, and a parish in Notts. The township lies on the river Smite, a quarter of a mile SE of Aslackton station on the G.N.R., and 2½ miles E of Bingham, and has a post office under Nottingham; money order and telegraph office, Bingham. Acreage, 1759; population, 281. The manor, with the Manor House, belongs to the Hall family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £138 with residence. The church is in the Early English and Late Decorated styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a central tower with spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and some charities. Archbishop Cranmer was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whatton St. John of Beverley|
|Poor Law union||Bingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whatton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Whatton (St. John of Beverley))
- Kelly's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1904
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.