UK Genealogy Archives logo

West Stockwith, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Stockwith, West, a township, with a village, in Misterton parish, Notts, on the river Trent, at the junction of the Chesterfield Canal, opposite East Stockwith in Lincolnshire, 1 mile from Misterton station on a branch of the G.N.R., and 4 miles NNW of Gainsborough. It has a fair on 4 Sept for horses and cattle, a ferry, and a post and money order office under Gainsborough; telegraph office, Misterton. Acreage, 688; population, 723. The living is a donative in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £160 with residence. The chapel of St Mary was erected in 1722 and restored and reseated in 1887; it is in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, and bell-turret. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a police station, and some almshouses.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Civil parishMisterton 
Poor Law unionGainsborough 
WapentakeBassetlaw 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for West Stockwith from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of West Stockwith are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictBassetlaw
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDN10
Post TownDoncaster