Hildersham, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village stands on the river Granta, 1¼ mile NW from Linton station on the G.E.R., and has a post office under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Linton. The parish comprises 1511 acres; population, 206. Hildersham Hall is a country residence standing in a park of 70 acres. The manor belonged formerly to the De Veres, Earls of Oxford, and belongs now to the Huddlestons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £385. The church is an ancient and interesting building of rubble, chiefly in the Decorated style, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. Matthew Paris the chronicler is supposed to have been a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hildersham Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Linton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hildersham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hildersham (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hildersham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.