West Leake, Nottinghamshire
Leake, West, a parish, with a village, in Notts, on an affluent of the river Soar, 2 miles SE of Kegworth railway station, and 6 N by W of Loughborough. Post town, Lough-borough; money order and telegraph office, Kegworth. Acreage, 1608; population, 154. The property is all in one estate, and belongs to Lord Belper, who is lord of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell. Patron, Lord Belper. The church is ancient, and contains several monuments; it was restored and reseated in 1878.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Leake St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Leake from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Leake, West (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of West Leake are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.