UK Genealogy Archives logo

West Drayton, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Drayton, West, a village and a parish in Notts, on the river Idle, adjacent to the G.N.R., 3g- miles NNW of Tufford. Post town, Eetford; money order and telegraph office, Tuxford. Acreage, 680; population, 75. The landed proprietors are the Duke of Newcastle, who is lord of the manor, the Duke of Portland, and the Rector. The living is annexed to the rectory of East Markham, in the diocese of Southwell; gross joint value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Newcastle. The church is a small building in the Norman style, and was restored in 1874. There is an endowed school founded towards the end of the 17th century.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Civil parishEast Markham 
Poor Law unionEast Retford 
WapentakeBassetlaw 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for West Drayton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of West Drayton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictBassetlaw
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDN22
Post TownRetford