West Burton, Nottinghamshire
Burton, West, a parish in Nottinghamshire, on the river Trent,. 1½ mile E of Sturton railway station, and Similes SSW of Gainsborough. Post town, Lincoln; money order and telegraph office, Sturton-le-Steeple. Acreage, 852; population, 52. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of South Wheatley and vicarage of North Wheatley, in the diocese of Southwell; joint net value, £480. Lord Middleton is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The church is old, and is no longer used for service.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Burton St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Gainsborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Burton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Burton, West (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of West Burton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.