UK Genealogy Archives logo

West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Bridgford, West, a village, a township, and a parish in Notts. The township lies on the Grantham Canal, near the M.R., 2 miles SE of Nottingham, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 1124; population of the township, 2502; of the ecclesiastical parish, 2589. The parish contains also the township of Gamston, and part of the hamlet of Basingfield. A small part of the parish, without houses or population, is in the county borough of Nottingham. A great flood occurred here in 1875, caused by the Trent overflowing its banks. The Notts County cricket ground is near the Trent Bridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £597 with residence. The church is good, and there is an endowed school with £27 a year.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishWest Bridgford St. Giles 
Poor Law unionBasford 
WapentakeBingham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for West Bridgford from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of West Bridgford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictRushcliffe
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG2
Post TownNottingham