Wellow, a parish, with a village, in Notts, 6½ miles SW of Tuxford station on the G.N.R. It has a post office under Newark; money order and telegraph office, Ollerton. Acreage, 1001; population, 323. Lord Savile is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Jordan Castle was a fortified seat of Sir Jordan Foliot. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £60 with residence. Patron, Lord Savile. The church is in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, and an embattled western tower, and was restored in 1878. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wellow St. Swithin|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wellow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wellow (St. Swithin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online: