Welbeck, a parish in Notts, 3½ miles SW by S of Worksop station on the M.S. & L.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Worksop. Acreage, 2670 of land and 126 of water; population, 71. A Premonstratensian abbey was founded here in the time of Henry II. by T. de Cuckeney, was made the head of its order in 1512, was given at the dissolution to the Whalleys, and passed to the Cavendishes and to the Bentincks. Welbeck Abbey, the seat of the Duke of Portland, now occupies the old abbey's site; was begun to be erected in 1604; underwent considerable alteration in 1864; is a magnificent edifice, in different styles of architecture, with turrets and other ornamental features, and has a large square embattled tower. The late Duke of Portland, who died in 1879, spent immense sums of money in constructing those subterranean corridors and apartments which have made Welbeck famous. Miles of underground passages extend in all directions from the abbey. The chief apartments to which they lead are the riding-school, since converted into a picture gallery, 180 feet in length, containing a fine collection of pictures; a library. consisting of five splendid rooms en suite, in all 236 feet long; and apartments, usually called " the ballroom " and the bachelor's hall, which were not complete at the time of the late Duke's death. The most remarkable building outside the abbey is the immense riding-school, 400 feet long and 100 wide, and lighted by 8000 gas jets. The tan-gallop, a glass-covered arcade 1250 feet long, where the horses are exercised in winter, is probably unrivalled. The extensive park comprises part of Sherwood Forest, and contains some splendid specimens of forest trees, lakes 4 miles in length, and beautiful gardens. A private chapel, formed out of part of the riding-school, was opened in 1892. It consists of a nave of five bays, two of which form the chancel, and two aisles; the walls are built entirely of marble, and there is accommodation for 350 people.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Welbeck from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.