Heydon, a village and a parish in Norfolk. The village stands on an affluent of the river Wensum, 6 miles W by N from Avisham, 3 NW from Cawston station on the G.E.R., and 2 W by N from Bluestone station on the Midland and Great Northern Joint railway, and has a post office under Norwich; money order office, Reepham; telegraph office, Cor-pusty railway station. The parish comprises 1983 acres; population of the civil parish, 205; of the ecclesiastical, 211. The manor belonged formerly to the Earles, and belongs now to the Bulwers. Heydon Hall is a Tudor mansion of 1584, and stands in a wooded park of about 600 acres. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Irmingland, in the diocese of Norwich; joint net value, £300 with residence, in the gift of the Bulwer family. The church has a lofty embattled tower with pinnacles, is in good condition, and contains an altar-tomb of Erasmus Earle, serjeant-at-law to Cromwell.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Heydon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.