Tuxford, a market-town, a township, and a parish in Notts. The town stands three-quarters of a mile W of the G.N.R., 7 miles S by E of East Retford, and 132 from London; was greatly devastated by a fire in 1702, and mainly rebuilt afterwards; carries on mailing, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newark, a railway station, an ancient church, a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £49 a year, a county police station, and a fair on 12 May. The parish comprises 2893 acres; population, 938. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. The manor belongs to the Duke of Newcastle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £267 with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, which was restored in 1895, is in various styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, porch, and embattled western tower with spire containing a clock and six bells. Tuxford Hall contains a fine collection of Early English oak carving, Chelsea china, ancient brasses, &c.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tuxford St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tuxford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tuxford (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tuxford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.