Trowell, a village and a parish in Notts, with a station on the M.R., 5¼ miles W of Nottingham. There is a post office under Nottingham; money order office, Hallam Fields; telegraph office, Stapleford. Acreage, 1621; population, 414. The parish has a council of seven members and a chairman. The manor belongs to Lord Middleton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £451 with residence. Patron, Lord Middleton. The church is in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, S porch, and a western embattled tower with six bells, and contains several brasses and monuments; it was thoroughly restored in 1891.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Trowell St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Trowell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Trowell (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Trowell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.