Treswell, a village and a parish in Notts, 1¼ mile S of Leverton railway station, and 6 miles ESE of East Retford. Post town, Lincoln; money order office, Rampton; telegraph office, Sturton-Ie-Steeple. Acreage, 1574; population of the civil parish, 170; of the ecclesiastical, 151. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £203 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. The thurch was restored in 1855, is in different styles, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and lofty embattled tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Treswell St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Treswell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Treswell (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Treswell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.