Hauxton, a parish in Cambridgeshire, on the river Cam, 1 mile E of Harston station on the G.N.R., and 4 miles SSW from Cambridge. Post town, Trumpington, under Cambridge; money order and telegraph office, Harston. Acreage, 601; population of the civil parish, 280; of the ecclesiastical, with Newton, 476. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Newton, in the diocese of Ely; joint gross yearly value, £274 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church, which dates from the middle of the 12th century, is a building of clunch and rubble in the Norman and later styles; it was restored in 1862.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hauxton St. Edmund|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hauxton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hauxton (St. Edmund))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hauxton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.