Hatley St George, Cambridgeshire
Hatley St George or Hunger Hatley, a parish in Cambridgeshire, adjacent to Beds, 2 miles SE from Gamlingay station on the L. & N.W.R. and 8 NNW from Royston. It has a post office under Sandy; money order and telegraph office, Gamlingay. Acreage, 1011; population, 90. The manor belonged to the St Georges from the time of Henry III. till 1775. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross yearly value, £137 with residence. The church is of the 14th century, and contains memorials of the St Georges. Hatley Park, a fine mansion of brick and stone in the Italian style, standing in a park of 300 acres, is the seat of the Evans family, who are lords of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hatley St. George|
|Poor Law union||Caxton and Arrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hatley St George from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hatley (St. George))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hatley St George are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.