Sutton on Trent, Nottinghamshire
Sutton-on-Trent, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands on the river Trent, 8 miles N of Newark, was once a market-town, is a polling-place, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newark, and a station called Crow Park on the main line of the G.N.R. The parish comprises 2586 acres of land and 71 of water; population, 969. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. The manor belongs to the Denison family. Basket-making is carried, on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £175 with residence. The church is an ancient building in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled western tower. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and a working men's institute built in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sutton-upon-Trent All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton on Trent from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sutton-Upon-Trent (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sutton on Trent are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.