UK Genealogy Archives logo

Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Sutton-in-Ashfield, a small town, a township, and a parish in Notts. The town stands near the Nottingham and Mansfield railway, 3½ miles SW of Mansfield. The G.N.R, from Annesly to Langwith, which was constructed in 1895, passes through Sutton-in-Ashfield. The town is regularly built, and is governed by an urban district council, carries on hosiery manufacture, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Nottingham, and a railway station. There are a fine church with lofty spire, restored and enlarged in 1868, and two district churches, Congregational, Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, Conservative club, young men's institute and reading-room, fire brigade and police stations, and a provision market every Saturday. The township contains also Eastfieldside. Acreage, 4879, of which 70 are water; population, 10,562. The manor belongs to the Duke of Portland. The parish includes the townshios of Hucknall-under-Huthwaite and Fulwood, formerly extra-parochial. Population, 13,596. There are limestone quarries and several collieries. The living is a vicarage, with Hucknall Huthwaite annexed, in the diocese of Southwell; joint net value, £251 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire and others.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishSutton-In-Ashfield St. Mary 
Poor Law unionMansfield 
WapentakeBroxtow 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Sutton in Ashfield from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Sutton in Ashfield are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictAshfield
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG17