Sutton Bonnington, Nottinghamshire
Sutton Bonnington, a small town and a parish in Notts. The town stands near the river Soar, 1 mile S by E of Kegworth station on the M.R., and 10½ SSW of Nottingham, and has a post and money order office under Loughborough; telegraph office, Kegworth (R.S.) Framework-knitting is carried on. Acreage of parish, 2185; population, 993. It is divided into the ecclesiastical parishes of St Ann and St Michael; population, 129 and 864. The livings are rectories in the diocese of Southwell; net value of St Ann, £370; of St Michael, £469, both with residence. Patron of St Ann, the Lord Chancellor; of St Michael, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church of St Ann is an ancient building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of three hays, and N aisle, and was restored in 1878. St Michael's is a fine edifice in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, and tower with lofty spire. It was restored in 1878. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Reformed Wesleyan chapels, an endowed national school, and some charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton Bonnington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sutton-Bonnington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.