Sutton, a township and a parish in Notts, with a station on the G.N.R., 3 miles NNW of East Retford. Acreage of township, 2173; population, 344. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The parish includes the township of Lound, which has a post office under Retford; money order and telegraph office, Retford. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 890. The Archbishop of York is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage, united with Scrooby, in the diocese of Southwell; gross joint value, £198 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church was restored in 1856, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, and tower, and a chapel of ease was built at Lound in 1858. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, and an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sutton St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sutton (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sutton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.