Sturton or Sturton le Steeple, Nottinghamshire
Sturton or Sturton-le-Steeple, a parish, with a village and a hamlet, in Notts, on the M.S. & L.R., 6 miles ENE of East Retford. It has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Sturton-le-Steeple, under Lincoln. Acreage, including the hamlet of Fenton, 4033 of land and 37 of water and foreshore; population, 505. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £259 with residence. The church is Norman and Early English, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, porch, and a large tower with pinnacles. There is a Wesleyan chapel erected in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sturton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sturton or Sturton le Steeple from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sturton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.