Strelley, a village and a parish in Notts, 2 miles E of Ilkeston station on the M.R., and 5 from Nottingham. Post town, Nottingham; money order and telegraph office, Kimberley. Acreage, 1069; population, 204. The manor belonged for many generations to the Strelley family, but now with Strelley Hall belongs to the Edge family. The living is annexed to the rectory of Bilborough in the diocese of Southwell; joint net value, £250 with residence. The church was restored in 1855, is an ancient building in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, S porch, and embattled western tower containing a clock erected in 1882. It contains some monuments to the Strelley family, stained windows, and an ancient hexagonal font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Strelley All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Strelley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Strelley (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Strelley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.