Stoke Bardolph, Nottinghamshire
Stoke Bardolph, a village and a township in Gedling parish, Notts, on the river Trent, 1 mile from Burton Joyce station on the Nottingham and Lincoln section of the M.R., and 5 miles ENE of Nottingham. Post town, Nottingham; money order office, Burton Joyce; telegraph office, Carlton. Acreage, 1115, of which 29 are water; population, 188. It has a ferry and a chapel of ease, and it formerly had a castle of Lords Bardolph. The Earl of Carnarvon and Earl Manvers are joint lords of the manor. The Nottingham Corporation sewage farm of 638 acres is in this township.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke Bardolph from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stoke-Bardolph)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stoke Bardolph are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.