Stapleford, a town and a parish in Notts. The town stands on the river Erewash, half a mileNE of Stapleford and Sandiacre station on the Erewash Valley branch of the M.R., and 6 miles WSW of Nottingham. It carries on hosiery and lace manufacture, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Nottingham. The parish comprises 1253 acres; population, 4255. Stapleford Hall was built in 1797 by Admiral Warren, and is now the seat of the Wright family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £235 with residence. The church is very old, and underwent alteration and repair in 1878. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and tower with lofty spire. There are Wesleyan, New Connexion, Baptist, and Primitive Methodist chapels, the Albert Hall, a cemetery, a Runic monolith, a coal pit, and a parish council of fifteen members.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stapleford St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stapleford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stapleford (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stapleford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.