Stanford upon Soar, Nottinghamshire
Stanford-upon-Soar, a village and a parish in Notts, 1½ mile N of Loughborough railway station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Loughborough. Acreage, 1515; population, 165. The manor, with Stanford Park, belongs to the Ratcliff family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £340 with residence. The church is old, is in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and was thoroughly restored at a cost of about £7000 in 1894. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a tower in which there is a peal of six bells, four of which are ancient and two were added in 1894.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stanford-upon-Soar St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanford upon Soar from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stanford-Upon-Soar (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.