South Scarle, Nottinghamshire
Scarle, South, a township and a parish in Notts. The township lies 1½ mile W of Swinderby station, and 2 N by E of Collingham station on the M.R., and 7 miles NNE of Newark. It has a post office under Newark; money order and telegraph office, Collingham. Acreage of the township, 1093; population, 150; of the ecclesiastical parish, 528. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the chapelry and township of Besthorpe and parish of Gilton. The manors of South Scarle and Girton belong to the Duke of Newcastle. The living is a vicarage, with Besthorpe and Girton, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £230 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled tower; and was thoroughly restored in 1871. There is a Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Scarle St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Newark|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Scarle from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Scarle, South (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of South Scarle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.