South Muskham, Nottinghamshire
Muskham, South, a parish in Notts, near the river Trent, 2 miles N by W of Newark station on the G.N.R. and M.R., with a post office under Newark; money order and telegraph office, Newark. It contains also the hamlet of Little Carlton. Acreage, 2806; population, 221. All the property belongs to Lord Middleton, who is lord, of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is in the Perpendicular style; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and tower; and was restored in 1878.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Muskham St. Wilfrid|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Muskham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Muskham, South (St. Wilfrid))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of South Muskham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.