Harlton, a parish in Cambridgeshire, 1½ mile S from Lord's Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R., and 6 miles SW from Cambridge on an old Roman road. It has a post office under .Cambridge; money order office. Great Eversdcn; telegraph office, Harston. Acreage, 1261; population, 288. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, in the gift of Jesus' College, Cambridge. The income is derived from 2 80 acres of glebe, and is consequently very uncertain. The church is an ancient building of chinch in the Transition style from Decorated to Perpendicular, and there is a small Congregational chapel. The manor belongs to the Governors of Christ's Hospital.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Harleton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harlton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Harleton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Harlton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.