UK Genealogy Archives logo

Sibthorpe, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Sibthorpe, a small village and a parish in Notts, 4 miles N of Aslockton station on the G.N.R., and 6½ SSW of Newark. Post town and telegraph office, Elston; money order office, Flintham. Acreage, 951; population, 106. The manor belongs to the Duke of Portland. The living is a donative in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £20. Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church is ancient but good, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a western tower. There is a portable wooden Wesleyan chapel. Archbishop Seeker was a native.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishSibthorpe St. Peter 
Poor Law unionBingham 
WapentakeNewark 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Sibthorpe from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictRushcliffe
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG23
Post TownNewark