Selston, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands near the Erewash river, 1 mile S of Pinxton station and 4 miles SE by E of Alfreton. It has a post and money order office under Alfreton; telegraph office, Pinxton. The parish contains also the hamlets of Alma, Bagsthorpe, Inkermann, Toad Hole, Underwood, and Westwood, and comprises 3318 acres; population, 5267; of the ecclesiastical parish, 4982. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members. The manor belongs to Earl Cowper and the Earl of Mexborough. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £292 with residence. The parish church is very old, and part of it shows Norman work. It consists of chancel, nave, and aisles, and has a massive tower with three bells. The church at Underwood, built by Earl Cowper, was consecrated in 1889, and consists of chancel, nave, and aisles, with tower and spire. There are Baptist, Congregational, Free Church, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Selston St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Selston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Selston (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Selston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.