Hardwicke, a parish in Cambridgeshire, 4 miles N from Lord's Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R., and 7 E from Caxton; Post town, Cambridge; money order office, Toft; telegraph office, Bonrn. Acreage, 1438; population, 163. The manor belongs to Pembroke College, Cambridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £210 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is Early Perpendicular English and good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hardwicke St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Caxton and Arrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hardwicke from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hardwicke (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hardwicke are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.